Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Knee Surgery

Less than 18 hours away from Surgery. Closing on work matters, and preparing my mind to be incapaciated for several weeks while I recover. Some anxiety beginning to arise as the reality of the impending surgery takes on form.

In the last few days my right knee has survived some rigourous activity without too much pain or swelling. I have been working out on the Precor eliptical and stationary bike without pain, and I have been walking significant distances at work without the usual pain and limp. I guess I am having a few good days for a change. This has made me wonder if I could wait another year or two before doing this surgery. I mean, shouldn't I be wheel-chair ridden before doing this surgery?

As I reflect, however, on the past year, I do recall many times where my knee was painful and swollen after routine activities. This included mowing the lawn, golfing 9 holes with a cart, painting the house, at work walking the 1/2 mile to Palmer Commons from LSA for IT Commons meetings, or at work when I hosted the Google presentation for campus. In all these situations, my knee was painful, inflexible, and swollen.

My doctor says that the xrays show that my right knee is "shot". He says that only a knee replacement will provide relief from pain and swelling. But the doctor added that the time to do the knee replacement is my call as it depends on my own tolerance for pain and desire to have an improved quality of life.

In spite of the anxiety to do this surgery, I must remind myself that the pain, swelling, and bow-leggednes will not go away until I do the knee replacment. The time to do this surgery is now.

For background on total knee replacement, the reader may find some of the following links helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knee_replacement
http://www.medicinenet.com/total_knee_replacement/article.htm

And for pictures of the prosthesis, the parts installed into the knee to replace the diseased joint, see:
http://www.bonesmart.org/knee_replacement.php?gclid=CML8n7aZ8aUCFdLLKgodl3pCmQ

Finally, for general pictures on the knee operation, see:
pictures-total-knee-replacment

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed a nice pasta dinner as my last meal before surgery in the morning. Put together a small bag of items to take to the hospital. Read over the instructions.

    Eerie part of all this is the Patient Advocacte legal forms I have to bring as part of my Will--just in case something grave happens during the surgery. Countdown is now 11 hours before surgery.

    ReplyDelete