Thursday, December 16, 2010

1 Week After Surgery - Progress Report

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 is one week since the surgery. I have been at home since December 11 (Saturday afternoon) recuperating from the surgery.

At this time I am now using the crutches exclusively to move around. I only used the walker the first day I was home as I was not confident that the crutches would provide enough stability. But, I have become quite confident with the crutches moving across the floor and up/down stairways. Each day, my leg gets a little stronger as I recover usage of the quadracep muscle. Over the last two days, I have been able to lift my surgical leg up in the air doing leg raises while lying flat. However, I cannot place my full weight on the leg yet, and I find it difficult to sit in a chair without elevating the leg. If I do not elevate my leg, pressure builds intensely about the incision area. The pressure transitions to pain if I do not elevate the leg. The most comfortable positions for me presently are lying flat on my bed or sitting lengthwise on the couch in my office so that my legs are lying fully on the couch. Icing the surgical area helps tremendously as does the pain medication I take every 6 hours.

Each day is the same protocol. Wake up at 7 to 8; brush my teeth, administer shot of Lovenix to stomach area to reduce risk of blood clots. Do two short leg workouts per day to increase flexion.

Margaret prepares all meals for me, and she also prepares the ice packs each day--one being the Cryo/Cuff which straps around my knee, and the other being the ice bag container supplied by the hospital. I use the ice bag to place it directly on the incision area. I swap between both of them throughout the day. My wife Margaret has adjusted her work schedule in order to stay home with me since Saturday. I am indebted to her care as I am unable to move about and carry things as both of my hands are occupied by the crutches whenever I walk. My sons are also helping out as needed.

I must confess that I am very unaccustomed to depending on people for basic needs. This experience has given me increased apprecation for caregivers who take care of those in need.

Since the surgery, I have lost 6 pounds of weight. Went fom 189 to 183. This does not surprise me as I hardly ate any food at the hospital. In fact, for 24 hours after the surgery, I only ate jello and water. Due to the morphine, my stomach could not handle hard foods. Now at home, I am eating better, but I am also being careful to eat low calorie, low fat foods as I am mostly sendentary due to the recuperation process.

I will not be able to drive a car for a few more weeks. I have not been out of the house since Saturday. There is snow outside, and I worry that I would fall if I tried walking with crutches at this time. In the last day, I did make it all the way down to our basement where I have workout equipement and weights. I started using small weights yesterday with my arms to maintain upper body strengthy. I will expand my work out over the next week.

Looking forward to my first follow-up visit with Dr. Denzin this upcoming Monday (December 20). This will be my first visit with him since the hospital. Assuming I pass the grade with him, he will authorize a PT program that will officially launch the workout program for rehabilitation. I will, of course, embrace the PT program enthusiastically.

I am also looking forward to getting off the Lovenix shot regimen. My last shot will be December 22, and that will mark another milestone towards recovery from this surgery.

One other noteworthy discovery from the surgery was the heat rash I contracted from the hospital stay. At the hospital I wore the standard pajamas they provide you which tie in the back with strings. My ties were left loose for the 3 nights I stayed in the hospital. My bare back and bottom were exposed to the hospital sheets where I sweated, particularly at night. Being unable to turn over, but instead lie motionless in the same position the entire night produced a heat rash. By the time I arrived at home, I had a good rash on my back that itched badly. This gradually cleared up with washing and Cortizone 10 cream. Even so, this had me a little worried as many of the allergic reactions to the medication listed rashes as a very serious reaction that requires immediate medical intervention. Fortunately, in my case, the rash was a simple heat rash. Lesson learned: bring your own pajamas to the hospital that have a closed back.

Two week update coming next week just before Christmas..... --Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment