Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Six Months after Surgery

I have had my first real awareness that my new knee is not a replacement for the knee I was born with. Over the past few weeks, I have seriously taxed my knee by doing painting and maintenance on my house. With summer weather upon us, I worked the entire Memorial Day weekend from sun-up to sun-down painting, standing for extended periods of time on a 32 foot ladder, moving the ladder, bending and walking about working. At one point while moving the heavy ladder, I felt a strained sensation in my knee and observed a tiny bit of swelling on the outer knee area. The knee also had a slight stiffness feeling to it. Fortunately, there was no pain.

I am assuming that I strained the knee area from all the work, but will watch carefully over the next several days/weeks to be sure that nothing more serious is going on. Of course, several depressing thoughts crossed my mind such as a loosening of the knee prosthesis where it was cemented into my knee or even a possible infection since I had cut my finger a time or two from working on the house.

A few weeks back, I did go to the Dentist for the first time since the knee replacement. I  took 4 capsules of 500MG amoxocillin (antibotic) as a precautionary measure one hour before the dental cleaning. All this went without incident.

I am next scheduled to see my doctor for a follow-up evaluation on the knee replacement in December. December will be the one year mark since the surgery. At the one year follow-up visit, the doctor will take another x-ray to review status and progress of the knee prosthesis.

And as a final entry to the 6 month update, here is a short video with me playing golf with my new knee and my three sons on Father's Day.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your sharing! I really like to read it,So good to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject.Continue to your work!...

    Knee Replacement treatment in India

    ReplyDelete
  2. This site is excellent and so is how the subject matter was explained. I also like some of the comments too. Waiting for the next post.
    Chronic Headache Treatments

    ReplyDelete