Wednesday, February 2, 2011

8 Weeks (2 Months) After Surgery

After this entry, I will go to bi-weekly updates, and eventually to monthly updates.

Here are some status updates after 8 weeks of recuperation and physical therapy from total knee replacement:
  • At the Physical Therapy clinic this week, my knee bend was measured at 101 degrees, 9 degrees shy of the PT goal of 110 degrees and 19 degrees shy of my goal of 120 degrees. I hope to reach my personal goal of 120 degrees in 6 weeks (by mid-March 2011).
  • My ability to walk increasing distances without assistance of a cane is occuring to my satisfaction.
  • I think I am starting to sleep better too. While I continue to wake up more often than normal throughout the night, it does seem that sleep interruptions (insomnia) are decreasing. A Google search confirmed that others who have undergone total knee replacement also experience difficulty sleeping during the primary convalescence phase (the first 3 months).
  • I am now completely off narcotic pain medication. If there is pain or swelling, I am taking
    over-the-counter ibuprofen or aspirin.
  • I am increasing my workout on the stationary bike to 20 minutes. I have also increased the peddle resistance to force the leg muscles to work harder. Hoping to work my way up to 40 minutes by March.
  • I swam 40 laps at the pool tonight. This is the first time I have tried to swim since the December 8 surgery. I probably could have swam my normal 60 laps, but I decided not to push things this first time. I also sat in the whirlpool for 5 minutes without issue.
  • My formal physical therapy sessions should end in the next week or two. After this, I will continue my own workout program with the hope that I will be able to perform my normal routine (pre-surgery workout) by the early weeks of March. In late March, I may also add the Golf driving range to my workout to begin working on my knee pivot when driving a golf ball. Since Margaret likes to golf, I will need to confirm that my golf swing is working well as we move into Spring here in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment